Why does my site email go to spam/Why is not delivered
The quick answer is, there is no quick answer. But there is a quick way to find out.
- Install or activate the WP Mail Logging plugin.
- Go to https://www.mail-tester.com/
- Now register a new user to that email address in WordPress. Usually I just call it spam tester.
That should generate a new user email to the test address. It also will save a copy of the email in your admin console under "Tools -> Mail Logging".
Now on the mail tester site, you will get a full report on the deliverability of the site generated email.
Send additional email
To send additional emails, you can generate those using a WordPress plugin that allows you to email a user, for example
Note that last plugin is now listed as "abandoned", although still works fine
for testing purposes. But we recommend you delete it when you are finished.
Alternative to Mail Tester
This is a free tool, with no usage limits:
Things that usually go wrong
Most likely culprits:
- misconfiguration of the WordPress host
- missing reverse DNS
- missing SPF records in the from: address' DNS.
A good solution?
Using WordPress hosts to deliver email is unreliable at best.
We recommend using a SMTP transport service like
MailGun, SendGrid, etc. for best results.